2008-2009 AGM/Ordinary Members/Nathan Carter
I'm Nathan (known around the projects as Cartman02au and I am proud to be standing as a candidate for Wikimedia Australia's first elected committee. I am a member of our interim committee and look forward to seeing our first elected committee being in place.
I reside in Bathurst, in Central Western NSW, where I was born and bred! I have studied at both TAFE and university and hold a degree in Information Technology. Currently, I am studying for a Graduate Diploma in Vocational Education and Training. For work, I am an ICT Manager within the NSW Department of Education and Training, where I have a focus on systems to support special education. I also own a micro-business as an ICT Consultant (where I work mainly with the agriculture industry) and selling items on eBay.
In the past, I have worked as a technical support officer, programmer and a special transport driver and student escort. I have also been involved in the establishment of a local charity and understand how important it is to have a good committee to lead organisations.
Outside of IT, my interests are cars, music, gardening and politics.
I have been involved with the projects since September, 2005, being most active on Wikinews where I am also an administrator. I also serve the foundation as member of the Chapters committee and in the past was a member of the Ombudsman commission.
I first proposed the idea of an Australian chapter three years ago and am excited to see what we have now. Wikimedia Australia is just starting out, but thanks to passionate members and a enthusiastic committee we have hit the ground running.
Some of the things I would like to see us doing in 2009 are:
- Regular meetings of the committee and newsletters to members
- Social events for Wikimedians
- Building relationships with like-minded organisations, the media and educators
- Working on the creation of an Australian Wikipedia Schools Selection
- Promotion of Wikimedia Australia, the Wikimedia Foundation and free-culture in general.
- Ensuring all our members are given the opportunity to take part in the organisation, despite geographical location
- Obtaining Deductible Gift Recipient status from the ATO
- Investigating whether we need fundraising authorities from the states
- Chasing up and applying for relevant grants
Thanks for your time and I look forward to being a part of Wikimedia Australia (as a committee member or not!) well into the future. If you have any questions, please feel free to drop me an e-mail - firstname.lastname@example.org.