Wikimedia Australia is a relatively new organisation and we are very much "finding our feet" in terms of discovering what we want to achieve and what we are capable of achieving.
- Setting up basic infrastructure and communication channels.
- Organising booklets and pamphlets for outreach communication, to inform the general public of what we do, what Wikimedia does, and why it is important.
- Wikipedia Day (15 January 2010) preparations around Australia
- Meeting on 9 December with The Centre for Volunteering, in Sydney (Liam, Peter)
- Working with Queensland Museum on creating Commons collections (Craig)
- Investigating suitable projects in Western Australia (Andrew, Ian, Adam K)
Future potential activities
That being said, here are some activities that we may consider in the future. Many of them have been conducted by other official Wikimedia chapters.
- Organise Wikipedia Academy events for academics/educators and/or the general public.
- Some Wikipedia content has been set on the NSW HSC English syllabus for 2009-2012. We can certainly work with teachers, classrooms, etc to help them better understand how Wikipedia works.
- Reimburse editors who perform activities that benefit Wikimedia, e.g. attending some event/location to research it, giving talks about Wikimedia (outreach).
- Organise Wikimania Australia national conference type events.
- Organise workshops for editors on topics of interest.
- Support Wikinews reporters with accreditation for access to some events.
- Work with government, cultural and educational institutions to see if they can release works under a free license, potentially for use in Wikimedia projects and/or use Wikimedia content in their works, and/or develop their own works within the Wikimedia projects.
- Encourage/facilitate publication of Wikimedia material in other forms (such as reading material and interactive CD-ROMs).
- Lobby for copyright laws and governmental practices that increase the body of free cultural works, lobby to protect and expand the public domain.
- Contribute to Wikimedia technical infrastructure.
- Stimulate and fund MediaWiki software development.
There is also a list of member ideas available at Meta.